- (215) 665 1845 Philadelphia PA
- (609) 896 9585 Lawrenceville NJ
July 5th 2021
When you’re under orthodontic treatment, going on vacation or out of town takes on another dimension. Traveling while wearing braces or Invisalign demands a little extra TLC, and while you want to be free from any obligations while you’re out and about, prioritizing your orthodontics all the while is worth it.
Create a Teeth-Cleaning Kit
Packing the essentials when you wear braces now includes making sure you have everything you need to take care of your teeth while you’re away. Whether you’re packing for yourself or helping your teen get ready for a trip, pull together a braces travel kit to always carry along and include the following necessities:
- Cleaning tools: Interdental brushes get where your toothbrush can’t.
- Toothbrush and toothpaste: Travel-sized, so they don’t take up too much room.
- Dental floss: Floss threaders reach where normal dental floss cannot.
- Wax: In case a wire starts jabbing and causing discomfort.
- Elastics: So you can change them when they get loose or if one breaks.
- Toothbrush and toothpaste: So you can clean up after meals before you put your trays back in.
- Dental floss: Because you should be cleaning your teeth as normal.
- Case: So you have somewhere to stash your trays when you’re having a meal or snack.
- Cleaner: To soak your trays when you’re back at your lodgings at the end of the day.
Best Practices for Orthodontic Patients Before Traveling
To give yourself the best opportunity to get through your travel without any complications, observe the following best practices:
- Visit your orthodontist: If you’re going to be away for a while – say a two-week vacation, a lengthy summer camp, or travel abroad – schedule an appointment with your orthodontist to discuss your plans and get recommendations about how to best care for your teeth and manage emergencies should they arise.
- Take extra trays: If you wear Invisalign, take along the next set or two of trays just in case you damage or lose the ones you’re wearing – or if the time will come to change your trays while you’re out of town.
- Keep your supplies close: If you’re traveling by air, make sure all your orthodontic supplies are in your carry-on bag. Or invest in a crossbody or fanny pack to keep your goods close no matter how you’re traveling.
- Wear your trays: Vacation from your life, school, or job is not a vacation from orthodontics. Keep up with your Invisalign wearing – 20 to 22 hours a day – and tend to your teeth as you would on any normal day to ensure that your treatment progresses properly.
- Use your case: Whether you wear Invisalign or have a dental appliance, make sure you always have your case at the ready. The last thing you want to do is wrap up your tray or retainer in a napkin and forget to put it back in your mouth, only to discover later that it’s long gone.
Prepare for Travel with Your Braces or Invisalign
Have questions about how to care for your teeth while you’re on vacation or out of town for work or a family visit? Contact Dr. Roberts or Dr. de Marsche at Philadelphia Orthodontists in Center City to get your concerns addressed before you go.